Friday 10 August 2012

RETURN TO UNDERCLIFFE

By Brian Sanderson,

With the sunshining again I set off back to watch Yorkshire under 19 match with  Ron Stansfield with me.It was his first visit to the ground and found Middlesex 55 for 0 with Yorkshire bowled out yesterday for 244.
We were given a up to date scoresheet by Brian Lymbury ,Yorkshire coach and President of  Undercliffe.
I gave him a copy of  Undercliffe team in 1919 which included C.L.Llewellyn.Recently I received a e-mail asking if I could help to supply his averages while he was at Undercliffe.However I did not have this information and it would seem Undercliffe had a fire in the 1930,s destroying their early records. He played for South Africa 15 matches and played in the leagues until he was in his sixty,s.


Middlesex openers Sabin and Higgins put on a opening stand of 150 before Sabin was out stumpted off Mc Kendry.Higgins went on to complete his century. Yorkshire tried seven bowlers but only McKendry took the  four wickets before lunch. I tried the home made apple pie to-day and found it brillant. You can not beat home cooking.At lunch Middlesex were 246 for 5 off 47 overs.Mc Kendry figures were 13-1-70-4.

After lunch we were given more up to date information and do wish this would happen in all matches.
Middlesex carried on to reach three hundred and maximum bonus points.Soon as Yorkshire batted they lost four wickets mainly to Harry Padmore who looked to good for Yorkshire.

I had to leave at tea time to get ready for the rugby to-night but I enjoyed the time at Undercliffe who were very helpful.

No comments: