Sunday 29 July 2012

The A64 corridor

posted by John Winn

The section of the A64 between York and Scarborough rarely receives a good press. Its jams get frequent mentions in the traffic reports on local radio and the fact that large sections of it are single carriageway are held to blame, in part at least, for Scarborough's economic problems. Yesterday however, it served me well for after a late start from York I visited four new grounds in the York Senior and York Vale leagues, all of which might justifiably include in their descriptions 'easily reached from the A64'.
I began in the Vale of York League which started this season with 54 teams in 6 divisions although two teams failed to come under umpires' orders when 'play' was called. Writing about the league last season I mentioned its problems in securing permanent officials in key positions. This year's handbook would suggest that this difficulty has now been overcome. Also in one of last season's postings I described a visit to the ground of Stockton and Hopgrove at the Hopgrove Sports Field, close to the infamous Hopgrove roundabout on the outskirts of York. In 2011 I found this vast open space bare, except for an archery competition, S and H's opponents having withdrawn from the league. This time my luck was in, for in the distance a game was in progress with York side Ovington, the visitors. Some fifty yards from the changing rooms was the boundary where the home side, who were batting, had set up camp with a score box on wheels and a windbreak and a few chairs. This is Division 1 of the league and while I admire those who play in such spartan conditions I would not enjoyed cricket on such a featureless ground, and even though this was a fine, sunny afternoon there did not appear to be any other spectators. The cricket was keenly fought however and while I was there Stockton lost their first wicket with the score at 43 for 1. They went on to make 257 for 4 which Ovington knocked off for the loss of 3 wickets.

Next, a few miles up the road I took the turn marked Kirkham Priory, whose ruins lie next to the River Derwent, and two miles further on arrived at the ground of Westow CC, for a second division York Vale match with Barmby Moor the visitors who were batting. Those of you lucky enough to be in possession of a copy of 'Off the beaten track', may recall a visit to this ground by Messrs Hutton, Davies, Bourne and Senior in 2006. Their description of the ground is accompanied by a photograph of the last three gentlemen at the ground, taken by Tony. The Kirkham Road ground is a typical village ground making use of what was once presumably a farmer's field with a small pavilion and separate score box. The square is at the highest point and the outfield rather slopes down to the boundaries. Barmby Moor were mounting something of a recovery, approaching a 100 for 4 wickets and there were murmurings of discontent amongst home fielders and even one fellow who thought things were 'too quiet'. Not in my book
Fenced off at one end of the field are the foundations of a new pavilion and I was informed by the groundsman that the fund raising effort to complete the project is well in hand. The game finished with 9 wicket win for the home side

 From Westow I took the pretty route to Malton and first visited the York Senior League game (Second Division) between Malton and Old Malton and visitors from York, Osbaldwick. The ground on Old Maltongate is a splendid affair, combining good looks with an excellent clubhouse. Here I was served with a cup of tea but not before my credentials were checked out by the tea lady for as  she didn't recognise me I could not be local and if I wasn't with Osbaldwick why was I there? She even asked if I was famous and whether she ought to know me. These hurdles having been surmounted to her satisfaction  I enjoyed my tea and watched Osbaldwick begin their reply to Malton's daunting 241 for 2. Their final effort fell far short at 95 all out.

Next to the Old Maltongate ground is the well appointed local Rugby Union ground and immediately beyond that another Malton and Old Malton eleven play in the Vale of York league at the The Gannock ground. Yesterday's opponents were East Yorkshire outfit Melbourne. Tea was being taken with Malton having hit 210 for 7 off their 40 overs. I managed to acquire a league handbook which showed this to be a Div 3 match between two teams that finished fourth and fifth in this division last year. Melbourne began their reply in boisterous fashion aided by some wayward bowling but although a squally shower was not enough to drive the players from the field it drove me to my car and off down the A64 towards home, passing through a number of similar showers on the way. Melbourne finished 24 short in their chase, all out 186.

Another day of contrasting grounds and standards of cricket but what a pleasant change to have been able to have gone in search of entertainment without having to worry about the weather. Off to Woodhouse Grange in an hour's time for their village cup quarter final with Streethouse, the winners will be only one step away from Lord's. Details on the blog tomorrow and hopefully with the results of the other ties in the competition.

No comments: