Monday 17 October 2011

Still More to read

Posted by Tony Hutton

Like John Winn my thoughts have turned to winter reading this week. Thanks John for your nice plug for 'Bloggers on the Boundary'. Sadly this volume does not contain any photographs due to the high price of colour printing, but I still think it is a good read at the bargain price of £5.

Anyone thinking of buying cricket books should always go to the Amazon website first as you can make considerable savings. Another book, to which I made a very minor contribution, is being published this Thursday. This is 'British Lost Cricket Grounds' by Chris Arnot, published by Aurum Press.

Chris, who is a freelance journalist for the Guardian, amongst other publications, contacted me earlier in the year for information on Fartown, Huddersfield. I was able to point him in the direction of the cricket heritage website and supplied one or two photographs. The book covers 40 lost grounds, at all levels of the game, and should make an interesting read.

More book news also arrived today when I was sent a copy of the Nottingham Post review of a book very close to my heart. 'The Boundary's Edge' by Lawrence Griffiths goes on sale nationwide from November 14th, priced at a hefty £25.

However you can already pre-order, somewhat cheaper, from Amazon. Griffiths is a full time sports photographer and works for Getty Images. He usually attends major sporting events, but like me has fallen under the spell of village cricket grounds.

He has spent the last six years compiling this book and visited 60 different grounds, as far apart as Cornwall, Flintshire, Northumberland and Fife. I am tempted to say only 60 in six years, but suppose the poor man has a full time job to do !

He sums it up by saying 'The people I met and stories I've heard have been phenomenal'. Many of us will know exactly what he means. One definately to look forward to.

No comments: