Sunday 12 September 2010

Cheese Savoury Heaven

Sunday 12 September

Posted by Peter Davies

Denby Dale v Cawthorne on the penultimate Sunday of the season. A beautiful day and the Wakefield Road ground was looking even more gorgeous than usual. The home side posted 180; the visitors were pretty slow to get going and looked way off the pace by the time we left.

An amazing day food-wise and I would like to nominate Denby Dale as a shining example of how to ‘do catering’ at a cricket match:

- They have a nice spacious kitchen/tea room
- The food is always available early and they’re very happy for spectators to buy their food during the first innings, unlike some clubs
- They make a great cup of tea
- The salad spread is always very very nice
- There are always two tea ladies on duty
- You can nip back for extras if you so desire

The food today was awesome: cheese savoury/tuna sandwiches, mini-Scotch eggs, mini-sausage rolls, quiche, salad and the rest. I loved it! I was even disciplined enought to stay off the dessert options (except melon, which I thought was very healthy to have).

We stayed about three hours with me preferring the shade and Dad the sun. Dad wandered round to a few different vantage points, while I amused myself with The Observer, Clive James’ fifth volume of memoirs and The New Yorker.

Without knowing it, we have created a ‘Golden Triangle’ of grounds this summer: Denby Dale, Skelmanthorpe, Kirkburton – three massive favourites and they do have something in common: good seating and good food. It reminds me of Professional Cricket Watcher Brian Senior’s Leeds ‘Golden Triangle’ – New Rover, Kirkstall Educational and St. Chad’s (I think).

No comments: